If you want to find out how to get your real estate license in Ontario, you have come to the right place! In order to become a registered salesperson in Ontario, you must complete and pass the relevant courses inside the Salesperson Registration Education Program.
These courses are offered by OREA Real Estate College and you must first be granted admission into the program before any courses can be taken.
To be granted admission, you must:
- Have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
- Be at least 18 years of age and pass the OREA college admission test
For details of the admission requirement, please click here.
If you need to take the admission test, get our FREE Orea admission test study guide and pass your admission test with ease!
Once you are granted admission, you’ll need to go through these three stages, they are Pre-Registration Segment, Registration with RECO and Articling Segment.
Step 1: Pre-Registration Segment (Within 18 Months)
Complete the following required courses in order within 18 months from the start of the first course (Real Estate as a Professional Career):
- Real Estate as a Professional Career
- Land, Structures and Real Estate Trading
- The Real Estate Transaction – General, plus The Residential Real Estate Transaction
- The Commercial Real Estate Transaction
- Real Property Law
Total cost for the above courses is 3075$. This is the required investment during your first 18 months.
Step 2: Registration with RECO (Within 12 Months)
Upon completing the Pre-Registration Segment, you have 12 months to register with RECO.
To become registered as a salesperson with RECO, you must:
Be a resident of Canada
Be at least 18 years of age
Complete the Pre-registration segment courses within 18 months
Obtain employment with a registered brokerage
Make application for registration with RECO within 12 months of completing the Pre-registration segment
Apply for registration within one year of completing your last Pre-registration course
Complete and submit the forms approved by Registrar under REBBA 2002, along with the relevant fee
Step 3: Articling Segment
In the Articling Segment, you’ll need to complete one of the following courses within 24 months from the initial registration date with RECO
- Principles of Appraisal
- Principles of Mortgage Financing
- Principles of Property Management
- Real Estate Investment Analysis
Total cost for the above courses is 505$CAD as you only need to select one.
Ontario Agent Courses and Licensing Fees
Pre-Registration Segment and Articling Course fees
- Real Estate as a Professional Career – $575
- Land, Structures and Real Estate Trading – $600
- The Real Estate Transaction – General – $450
- The Residential Real Estate Transaction – $450
- The Commercial Real Estate Transaction – $450
- Real Property Law – $550
Articling Course fees
- Principles of Appraisal – $505
- Principles of Mortgage Financing – $505
- Principles of Property Management – $505
- Real Estate Investment Analysis – $505
- New Salesperson $590 ($390 + $200 application review fee)
- New Salesperson – Interprovincial $590 ($390 + $200 application review fee)
- $200 application review fee for a change during a registration cycle (no fee if processed with a renewal of registration)
There are also other fees such as local real estate board, fees you’ll need to pay to your broker etc. A good ballpark figure is close to 10,000$ when you take everything into account and give yourself a little wiggle room.
OREA Course Locations
These courses are provided by OREA only at locations throughout Ontario. For more information on where you can take these courses, you can click here to find out.
Ontario Licensing Resources
- Canadian Ultimate Real Estate License Guide
- OREA Ontario Real Estate College
- RECO Real Estate Council of Ontario
Read Next: How to become a Real Estate Broker in Ontario
Information verified and updated in 2018.
Note: Please note that OREA will no longer offer educational courses for real estate professionals for Ontario after December 31st, 2020. For detailed information of this announcement please click here.