The Real Estate Council of British Columbia (RECBC) is responsible for licensing individuals engaged in real estate sales activities. In order to get your realtor license in BC British Columbia, you must complete and pass the Real Estate Trading Services Licensing Course offered by University of British Columbia (UBC) and fulfill other requirements. Another name for the real estate sales license in British Columbia is called the “Trading Services Sales license”. Read on to find out more.
British Columbia Licensing Requirements
There are no pre-requisites for enrolling into the Trading Services Licensing course in order to become a BC realtor, however, you will need to meet the Language Proficiency Requirement (LPI) before you can register for the course. So to fulfill the language proficiency requirement, simply satisfy one of the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A recognized university degree at an accredited university or technical institute where English is the primary teaching language
- Completed a three-credit course in English composition or English literature at an accredited university, college or technical institute where English is the primary teaching language.
- Have previously completed the Real Estate Trading Services Licensing course (formerly named the Salesperson’s Pre-licensing course), the Rental Property Management Licensing course, the Mortgage Brokerage in British Columbia (2006 onwards) course or the Strata Management licensing course.
- Have completed the requirements for the Certified General Accountant designation, including the Business Writing Skills course or equivalent.
- Have held an active real estate license in Canada or the United States for not less than one year during the three years preceding the date of the application.
For more information on how to submit proof of documentation, please click here.
The Real Estate Division of UBC also recommends that you read the “Real Estate as a Career” before starting the course.
If you think your previous education or experience could exempt you from taking the course, please click here to review the Exemption guidelines.
If you satisfy at least one of the above requirements, simply proceed to step 2. Otherwise click here to find out how to take the Language Proficiency Index (LPI) exam.
After step 1, you will need to pay and register for the course. Simply click on the “register” tab on the licensing page. Click here to see the table of content for this course
Now assume you have completed the Real Estate Trading Services Licensing Course. You must then register for the Residential Trading Services Applied Practice Course or the Commercial Trading Services Applied Practice Course prior to making application for licensing. These courses are delivered by the BC Real Estate Association, it is five days in the class course and is a requirement for obtaining your license.
Lastly, you will need to obtain your criminal record report. Click here to find out more.
You will need to submit this original criminal record check report and submit it along with your licensing application to the Council.
Once licensed, the in-class course must be completed within 6 months, failure to do so will result in license termination. If you find the procedure in step 3 confusing, just remember that you are allowed to “register” for the in-class course offered by BC Real Estate association upon successfully completing the Real Estate Trading Services Licensing Course. Before actually taking the in-class course, you can make an application for licensing. Once your application is accepted and the license has been granted, you have up to six months to “complete” the in-class course.
Course and licensing fees:
The Real Estate Trading Services Licensing Course is about $1075 + tax minimum.
The Residential Trading Services Applied Practice Course or the Commercial Trading Services Applied Practice Course is $675 plus tax each.
Your total investment on the course comes to about: $1750 plus tax
For a complete list of other fees please see the Budget section of this page.
For a complete list of licensing fees please click here.
Getting a real estate license in British Columbia is a good career move. The income potential can be extremely high because the real estate market in British Columbia, especially in Vancouver, is the home of some of Canada’s richest neighborhood.
If you like this article and would like to see more, please subscribe to our mailing list below.